Friday, March 11, 2011

Beggin To Know

We have realized that the two of us are prime targets for beggars all over the world. Here, in South Africa especially. While walking the streets of Cape Town, we are approached by at least one person every day who asks us for money. Many times, a simple “no” does not deter the person and we are followed until either Todd blows up at them, or they give up on us and find a new mark. We are both pretty accustomed to the situation, so we try to pre-empt it by saying “no” as soon as we are approached.

A few days ago the two of us were meeting at a used bookstore in town. Along the way, I was approached by a very skinny man with his palms out asking me for something. I immediately said “sorry, no” and tried to hurry away, but he continued to run next to me repeating his question. I must have said no five times before I actually heard that he was asking me for food, not money, and was telling me that “I am not a beggar, I am just hungry”. As I realized that he really might be hungry, he gave up his chase and disappeared around the corner.

When I arrived at the bookstore, I told Todd about the man and how I couldn’t help but feel guilty for not buying him some food when he was obviously hungry. Coincidentally, Todd had been approached by the same man and after responding similarly, he was feeling guilty as well. (We have talked a few times during our travels about beggars and have both agreed that we would much rather help someone asking for food as opposed to money.)

As the guilt sunk in deeper, we decided to walk back the same route to try to find the man and give him something to eat. Sadly, he was nowhere to be found. Nearly immediately upon resigning our hunt we were approached by a pregnant woman and her little girl. We couldn’t understand what she was asking for, but decided that we would get them something to eat. She was very excited about this and pointed to a Pick and Pay grocery store across the street. Once inside, she began tossing anything and everything into her basket making it very apparent that she was trying to take advantage of the situation. We quickly put a stop to it and ended up getting her some bread, cereal, milk, and bananas.

On many levels we’re not certain how we feel or what to do about any of this...

No comments: