Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Not Looking...

I have searched the internet for Balinese traffic laws and have come up empty handed.  There only seems to be a few things that are enforced on the road:
* motorbike riders and passengers should wear helmets
* all vehicles should stop behind the painted line at a red light
* motorbikes should be ridden with their light on at all times
* all vehicles should drive on the left hand side of the road
We say should because these laws are more guidelines than anything else and are rarely enforced.

Other than that, all of the rules are the same as on a kindergarten playground:
1.  I'm bigger than you.
2.  I was here first.
3.  I'm not looking.
4.  Since I'm not looking, no one can blame me for anything I do.

This makes for absolute chaos on the road.  Motorbikes and cars pass on either side, often encroaching in two lanes of oncoming traffic.  Intersections are an absolute free-for-all with the above kindergarten rules playing out thousands of times per day.

Here's a video of a typical drive to the supermarket... yes, we are passing on the wrong side of the road:

No comments: