Sunday, August 8, 2010

Bah-ssage

UGH! I was all geared up for a massage today- sore from working out and just primed for some serious kneading. I went to Lilly and Raul (a highly tauted Chinese massage salon in Midtown East) and I still need a massage. The entire 50 something minutes (she cut me short of an hour) that I was on the table, I kept thinking, "OK, now we're gonna start the MASSAGE." And for the entire 50-something minutes I was severely disappointed. There was never enough pressure to be considered more than "touch". The lady never asked how much pressure I'd like- never spoke. I suppose I should have spoken up at the beginning but like I said, I kind of kept thinking that at some point some actual massage might take place. After all, it was called a couple's MASSAGE. Kristina and I commented that the highlight of the "massage" was actually the warm, moist towel the "masseuse" used to wipe the oil off after each section of her routine.

The worst part of the experience occurred on our way out. The receptionist thrust some envelopes at us and told us to use them for our tips. Having just wasted $100 and nearly an hour, we each rolled up $2 and put them in the respective envelopes. After handing them to the receptionist, I stopped for a drink of water. During that time, the receptionist pulled our tips out, put them on the counter and indicated that I might have made a mistake- that this was not enough for a tip. I assured her that the tip was more than enough for the service we received.

On our way home, we stumbled upon a a mass of people swarming what initially appeared to be rubbish bags on the corner of the street.  Upon closer inspection, we realized that the bags were full of shoes.  A nearby store had discarded sample shoes onto the street and people were tearing them apart in hopes of finding a matching pair.  We joined the fray for a couple of minutes, but it seemed fruitless.  So, like true New Yorkers, we continued on as if there was nothing unusual.

No comments: